Friday, August 22, 2008

It's True!!!!

Well, I now know for a fact that possums do play possum. Last night, I went into the backyard to play with Payton. She had kept coming in and bugging me, so I figured that she wanted to have me throw stuff for her for a few minutes. She kept running over to her bird and then back to me whining. OK, I go and went over to pick up what I thought was her bird, it was dark, and there was a possum laying on the ground. GREAT, now Payton is a killer! She kept nugging it with her nose and I even tried to give it a little kick to get it moving, but nothing. I called for Rick and he came out with the broom and pushed at it and nothing. Payton's first kill. I then sent a text to Tyler and Erik and brought Payton into the house and shut the door so that she wouldn't tear the poor possum up. I called the dispatch at the Sheriff's office to get a night time number for animal control, there is none. The Deputy I spoke to said to double bag the dead animal, put it out to the curb and call the number he gave me and leave a message. I told Rick about this and he just layed on the couch. Rick is on vacation this week and he is taking it to the letter! I have nicknamed the couch Rick's single wide. He gets out of bed and goes directly to that couch and lays there all day, at one point there were 2 days worth of newspapers, etc. Too funny. The Deputy also told me that I shouldn't be surprised if the possum is gone when I go back to take it out of the yard. Well, 30 minutes later, Rick gets up to get a shovel and 2 trash bags and we go out to the backyard. Sure as shit, the possum is gone. I can't believe this, they really do play dead. I am just thankful that the possum didn't tear Payton a new one, the Deputy told me they are VERY mean. This possum is the 2nd one this week to come into the yard. When animal control called me back this morning, I was told that possums will tear up a whole yard looking for food. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: